Saturday, April 28, 2012

Urgent Care

I hit silent on my phone when it rang at 9:30, as I was enjoying a mid-morning nap. G. had taken the boys to school, since they start late on Friday (why, I have no idea).

A few minutes later, G's distinctive ringtone woke me again. When I picked up, I could barely understand what he was saying. Something about the school nurse, Little Bro, school policy, blah blah, something something.- I was foggy.

I broke into a cold sweat, however, when he said, "he needs to be picked up from school & taken to the doctor."

Worried that he was puking again, I sat bolt upright, only to lay back down with a groan when G. clarified, no, no, the RINGWORM he picked up at the school playground (over a MONTH ago) had flared up again and his teacher who had been "keeping an eye on it" had sent him to the nurse; who called us, to come get him... because school policy is to have ringworm sites covered...but they can't cover his because it's on his head...and hats are against the dress code. Um, ok.

In any case, nurse tells me (once I roll out of bed & trundle down to the school, which No is not anywhere close
to our house; in a different district, in fact), that I should probably take him a doctor, because he's probably contagious. Awesome.

Long story short: I call his worker, for a reccomendstion, since both little Bro & Big Bro were treated at the shelter for the ringworm infection (not caused by actual worms or anything, just a nasty fungus). Recommended doc doesn't have them on file, can't see Little Bro without an intake, no intakes until Tuesday. Set up intake, go to plan B- Urgent Care. Little Bro needs meds ASAP, as I am NOT keeping him home Monday and Tuesday for some stupid ringworm.

We hit up the local Urgent Care clinic where Little Bro & I wait forever, but are rewarded for our patience with 2 suckers and a cute doctor, respectively.

Back to our end of town to drop of the prescription, late lunch, then BACK down to the school to pick up Big Bro, who of course has no idea anything's amiss.

Chatted with the nurse again, who still seemed miffed about what to do about the while school policy issue; although I'd dearly love to see her try to tape a bandage to his curly head!

The kicker is that the treatment for ringworm is typically a steroidal ointment of some kind, BUT BECAUSE his spot is on his head, it's not effective and he has to take a syrup. Which, in order for the medicine to be most effective, he has to BREAK A SWEAT 20-30 minutes after he ingests it, as in the medicine will only be able to kill the fungus when it is EXCRETED through the pores of head. WTF.
~~~~~~
Thanks for all the messages of concern, he's fine & the medicine, while icky will start to do its work soon.
We hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment