Friday, July 13, 2012

Respite

It has been 6 weeks or so since DaBoys went home. In that time, we've seen them twice- once to drop off their bikes & once because they needed picked up from day camp unexpectedly. I'm just really thankful that their mom considers me someone she can call in an emergency; it's a good sign.

~~~~~
Today brought an unexpected situation: we were asked to provide respite care for another foster family, for the weekend. I got a call about 3:30, while I was wrapping up my first full week at my new job (woo!).

The worker explained the situation (foster mom health issues), the kids' ages (4 & 18 mo.) & asked if we could help out. I immediately wanted to take the kids (their situation is very sympathetic), but thought maybe I should consult with Mr. Greg first.

Of course, easygoing guy that he is, he said yes. Before I know it, I'm getting the foster dad's info and arranging a drop off.

They showed up around 7; high chair, pack n play, Barbies & booster seats in tow.

The foster dad had very kindly written down bedtime instructions & helpful hints, and even left his cell number.

The kids settled in pretty quickly. The girl, 4, who I'll call Lady M (very pretty, witty & wise), played with Lola & explored the whole house, while I sorted through Baby A's diaper bag, in search of a changing pad. Finding none, I used an (old, forest green) towel & soon set him to rights.

We played for a bit, then I fed Baby A a bottle & put him in the Pack N Play to sleep.

He wasn't having it, so Lady M "read" him a story & we tried again.

Success!

Lady M drew for another little while, then put on her jammies & brushed teeth; then I read 2 books & rocked her (per instruction sheet) & put her to bed. She was out, stuffed unicorn tucked under her arm, in 10 minutes.

Hope the rest of the weekend is this easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment