Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practically Idyllic

With the notable exception of waking up & getting to school super late this morning, on the day Little Bro went to the zoo no less, today was a vast vast improvement over yesterday.

While i was mowing the lawn & sweating out my self-loathing. (see above), I realized where we'd gone astray. That damn Wii. The boys beg to play it so often & so hard that I've been giving in more often than not. What used to be a weekend- only thing has now become a near daily thing. And while normally most kids would be quiet and play their games, THESE kids fight and yell and carry one to such an extent that it's more stressful to have it on than to put up with the begging.

So, I've made an executive decision, no more weekday Wii. Instead, after school we went grocery shopping, watched some educational tv (what's up Discovery Channel!), did some artwork, went for a WALK after dinner- on which we ate ice cream cones - & played Transformers before bath time. Wow.

Zero meltdowns from either of them; only one small scuffle, all homework completed AND time for a bedtime
story. Booyah.



1 comment:

  1. We do not have video games yet (never if I have anything to say about it!) but I have noticed a distinct difference in my kid's attitudes and behavior when they have been watching TV more as a norm and not a privilege. It seems backwards, like it should occupy them and thus make them happy, but they end up acting entitled, selfish and unkind. I think it also means more to them when it's a privilege or reward. I am enjoying your posts. Keep them up!

    ReplyDelete